Self employment

General support and advice

  •  The government’s website has a wide range of information about all aspects of starting up your own business. They also run a business support helpline.
  • Everywoman  Provides online networking, training, resources and support services for women in business.
  • Prowess 2.0  Association of organisations who support the growth of women’s business ownership. Their website has a directory of local business support.

What happens with tax and National Insurance

  • HMRC   Guidance on what you need to do for tax and National Insurance purposes depending on whether you start up a business as a self-employed person, a partnership or a limited company.
  • HMRC online e-learning course for help with tax, National Insurance, business records and expenses when working for yourself as a self employed person (for example as a freelancer or sole trader, but excluding limited companies and partnerships).

Getting funding

  • Better Business Finance Provides impartial information and support to business customers looking to raise finance. If you are looking to start or grow your business, BBF offer information on steps you need to take to apply for external financial support. They have also put together a number of factsheets to help you successfully raise the finance you need.


  • IPSE (The association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed) Provides business support and a campaigning voice for freelancers. Plenty of online tools to explore, with additional support available if you join as a member.
  •  An online marketplace where freelancers can get hired by employers to work on freelance projects, in areas such as software development, writing, data entry and design right through to engineering, the sciences, sales and marketing, accounting and legal services.
  • People Per Hour  Another online marketplace where freelancers can search for freelance projects and get hired.


Please note that Women Like Us takes no responsibility for the content of any websites or advice given by any organisations listed on this page